Attended a very interesting one day event in California. In addition to great weather enjoyed some very interesting sessions.
I was very impressed by Ray Ozzie. His comments were very insightful. Here are a few I noted:
- India is ahead on mobile
- China is seeing parallel growth in mobile and pcs
- Ray uses constraints to drive behavior within the organization
- cloud is fast becoming a hub that we connect to via fat pipes. This will again give us an opportunity to think about where work gets done: on personal vs central locations
- PCs and mobile phones become appliances that you log into to access your information - anywhere, anytime. This considerably reduces the cost of management of devices.
- media is the new document driving usage of local compute power
- every HD-IPTV end-point requires 6MBPS of bandwidth
- Instant Messaging has morphed into social networks (especially facebook)
- social networks are driven by technology, social dynamics and organizational design
- two big opportunities? mobile collaboration, virtualization / server consolidation
- biggest challenge at Microsoft? ability to manage complexity