Thursday, November 08, 2007


Google to offer Directions at the Pump
18 years ago, I was walking down a street in the Quartier Latin (Latin Quarter) area of Paris and I came across a roadside computer with a keyboard and a printer. You could type in any address in Paris and it would print you directions using the now obsolete Minitel system (pic: Minitel terminal France Telecom gave us to take home with our phone). As a geek, I was impressed. It even proposed correct spellings of street names for the tourists like me who just could not get a hang of the French street names. I then moved to NY and was surprised to not find a similar service in the US.

Finally, the Google is bringing the feature to the gas pump near you. Read on ...

It is too late for me as I can get all my directions from Google Maps on my blackberry.

No comments: